Vacancy | Employer: Consensus Vocalis | Position: choirmaster/conductor | Organization: based in
Enschede | Hours: 8 per week on average | Closing date: 30/11/2018
Consensus Vocalis is the leading professional choir of the Eastern part of the Netherlands. Together with fellow musical institutes in the area (the Nederlandse Reisopera, Orkest van het Oosten and Het Gelders Orkest), it fulfills a vital function in the country’s cultural infrastructure.
As a regular and esteemed partner to many Dutch orchestras, ensembles and musical companies, including the Nederlandse Reisopera, Orkest van het Oosten, Het Gelders Orkest, the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, Musica Amphion, Holland Baroque, Concerto d’Amsterdam, Nederlands Blazers Ensemble, Metropole Orkest, Parnassus Ensemble and Valerius Ensemble, the choir is active throughout the country. It consists of professionally trained singers, both from the Netherlands and abroad, of outstanding versatility. Through careful selection of its singers, Consensus Vocalis has achieved a distinctive sound: clear, intense and deeply passionate. Apart from regular productions with its partners, Consensus Vocalis also develops its own concert programmes, both with guest conductors and its own choirmaster.
The choir falls within the larger organisation of Consensus Vocalis. The general director is charged with the day-to-day management of the choir and answers to the organisation’s board. An external artistic committee will soon be appointed to advise Consensus Vocalis on its artistic strategies. The choirmaster participates in the committee’s meetings.
We are looking for an enthusiastic choirmaster with demonstrable experience in the field of professional choral singing.
• Supervising the choir’s quality and versatility, auditioning prospective new singers according to Consensus Vocalis’ audition code in cooperation with an audition committee. Subsequently, you will be responsible for any additional singer evaluations;
• Preparing for productions thoroughly and carefully selecting singers for each project based on clear, relevant and transparent criteria;
• Advising the general director on any inquiries regarding the choir’s participation in productions by third parties (i.e. orchestras, ensembles and musical theatre or opera companies);
• Maintaining contact with those in charge of the production’s artistic leadership;
• Providing the organisation with all required information regarding the division of the choir and any orchestras, ensembles, soloists etc. who will potentially be involved in a programme, so that the general director and the board can make well-informed decisions on the financial, organizational and artistic feasibility of its own projects;
• Conferring with the general director at an early stage on any relevant matters for the choir’s productions, e.g. the size of the choir, selection of singers, rehearsal schedules and locations;
• Conducting 1-2 concert programs annually (as far as the organization has the means to that end);
• Participating actively in the acquisition of means for the choir’s own productions, e.g. by joining in meetings with sponsors;
• Accounting for your actions to the general director and consulting with her regularly.
Qualities and experience
• You have wide experience as a choirmaster of professional choruses in the fields of opera, oratorio and musical theatre.
• You have a clear view of current developments in the field of (choral) music, both in the Netherlands and internationally, and relevant contacts therein.
• You are able to motivate, inspire and connect.
• You are a team player, easily approachable.
• You are full of initiative, creative, open to new ideas and developments.
• You are able to reflect upon your own and others’ performance.
• You have excellent piano skills.
• You have excellent communication skills in Dutch and English, and, preferably, German as well.
What we offer
A creative, dynamic and challenging position within a small, flexible enterprise dedicated to the reinforcement of Consensus Vocalis’ place in Dutch choral singing. This job role entails an average of one day/week, apart from peak times during productions. You will be employed on a freelance basis. Compensation for your services as a conductor for individual productions is independent of this contract. The contract is valid for one year. Subject to satisfactory performance and mutual enthusiasm, we aim to extend the contract.
More information and/or applications
We invite any prospective applicants to send a short cover letter including their personal interests and a CV to email@example.com before the 30th of November 2018. Interviews will be held on the 6th of December in Enschede.
For more information on Consensus Vocalis and/or the position, please contact our general director Francis Faas, at +31 6 40 32 37 47 or firstname.lastname@example.org.